Sunday, January 03, 2010

Justice for all

True authority is exercised in the context of justice for all, with special attention to the weakest people, who cannot defend themselves and are part of the oppressed minority. A family or community authority, as well as having this sense of justice and truth, needs personal relationships, sensitivity in its action and the ability to listen, trust and forgive. None of this, of course, excludes moments of firmness.

- Jean Vanier, Community and Growth, p. 207

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a good book, Heidi. I've never read anything by Vanier--and that hasn't been a LOT--that has left me disappointed. But this sounds like the kind of thing I need to hear right now.

Thou rawkest, girl. Thanks!

Elizabeth said...

I'm in the midst of reading that book for one of my seminary classes. Loving it so far. Thanks for posting.